A variety show about raising food and living earthy in the city
Dan Chouinard is host of this new show where guests bring songs, stories and first-hand how-to: from rooftop beekeepers to basement cheesemakers, bicycling bakers to vacant lot farmers. Plus lots of history and lore and music backed up by an all-star band. A fresh local take on a growing global movement.
The Urban Farmer’s Almanac had three sold-out shows at Open Eye Theater in South Minneapolis in August. Another three shows are scheduled at the Capri Theater in North Minneapolis the weekend of March 2-3-4, 2018. Saint Joan of Arc Catholic Community will host a show Sunday evening April 29, 2018. More details soon, here and on the UFA Facebook page.
The Urban Farmer’s Almanac made its debut in May 2016 with three full-house shows at the Ritz Theater in Northeast Minneapolis, part of Theater Latté Da’s NEXT festival for new works. Some of the folks who joined in:
- Lucie Amundsen, author, founder of Locally Laid Egg Co.
- Susan Brown, founder of Mademoiselle Miel Chocolates
- Michael Chaney, founder of Project Sweetie Pie, a North Side garden project for youth
- Tony Desnick, Nice Ride MN
- Mark Dietrich and Kim Sueoka, singers, co-founders of April Fool Bakery
- Beth Dooley, author, food writer for Star Tribune
- Beth Gilleland and Dane Stauffer, actors
- Maria Jette, vocalist
- Prudence Johnson, vocalist
- Peter Johnson, Richard Kriehn, Gary Raynor and Gary Rue, house band
- Sarah Linnes-Robinson, dir. Kingfield Neighborhood Association
- Christopher MacLeod, founder of Laune Bread
- Andrea Northup, Farm to School Coordinator, Minneapolis Public Schools
- Marge Ostroushko, radio producer, backyard beekeeper
- Peter Ostroushko, mandolin and fiddle
- Thomasina Petrus, singer, food entrepreneur
- Jordan Sramek, gardener, founder of The Rose Ensemble
Artwork by Karen McCall Design
Contact Dan about Urban Farmer’s Almanac.
Learn more about Dan’s other projects: