An annual concert and conversation on the African-American experience
Every January since 2000 Dan has hosted a concert in celebration of the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday at St. Joan of Arc Catholic Community in Minneapolis. Over the years it has evolved from a musical celebration of the civil rights era into a larger and deeper conversation on the African-American experience, featuring original research, interviews and stories, spoken word and music. At all shows: the SJA choir directed by Anna Vagle, TMychael Rambo interpreting Dr. King, an all-star band and many guests. A sampling of recent shows:
- 2007: Black HerStories: Debbie Duncan, Gwen Matthews, T Mychael Rambo and their mothers
- 2008: Young, Gifted and Black: Bruce Henry, Aimee Bryant, Tonia Hughes with young performers Cameron Wright, Brittany Delaney and S’sence
- 2012: Robert Robinson and combined choirs of St. Joan of Arc and Mount Olivet Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- 2013: Unforgettable: Dennis Spears, Yolande Bruce and the Wolverines, on the interwoven legacies of Nat King Cole and Martin Luther King Jr.
- 2014: Rondo ’56: remembering St. Paul’s African-American main street and the building of I-94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul; music, story and archival images
- 2015: Marching to a Better World: performer moms and their kids talk about the Selma marches and the Black Lives Matter movement; with Gwen Matthews, Yolande Bruce, Thomasina Petrus, Tonia Hughes, Cameron Wright and Brittany Delaney
- 2016: On My Way Home: exploring the history of home in the African-American experience; interviews and music with Bruce Henry, Debbie Duncan, Sondra Samuels, Jerry Blakey and Rep. Keith Ellison; opening dance number by the Wayman AME Steppers of North Mpls.
- 2017: When I Think of Home: continuing exploration of the history of home and housing discrimination, with special focus on North and South Minneapolis; featuring Bruce Henry, Yolande Bruce, Dr. Mahmoud El-Kati, storyteller Nothando Zulu, the Mapping Prejudice Project and more.
(photo 1966, John Tweedle, Chicago Daily News)
Contact Dan about the MLK Holiday concerts.
Learn more about Dan’s other projects: